Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|College Teams||High Schools|
August 8, 2013
Pre-Season Division 1 Top Ten
Behind a heavy influx of talent and the constant opening of new school, Bishop Gorman has risen to the national and has dominated Nevada football usually running away with games. The team is loaded with elite facilities and has been far and away the best team in the state.
This season there is a stronger chance at the changing of the guard after Gorman lost two elite stars during the off-season in Nathan Starks and Isaiah Nacua. There are a number of challengers to the top perch and this will possibly be an outstanding season of high school football.
Here is a breakdown of the Nevada Prep Report state top 10:
1. Bishop Gorman-The Gaels hold on to the #1 spot in Nevada this season but this isn't the same team that hogged all the best players as in years past. This Gael team has a lot to prove this season with a front loaded schedule that could easily see them limp into league play at 0-6.
2. Palo Verde-This is one of the best Panthers teams in the past couple of years featuring what may be the best defense in the state this year. With the pieces returning on offense, the Panthers will be tough to beat on any weekend.
3. Liberty-The Patriots have yet to look back since emerging as a state title contender and this year they look more physical than ever on both sides of the ball.
4. Legacy-The Longhorns always featured quality talent, this year they are a major contender to achieve elite status if they can ride the talent of running back/safety Casey Hughes. Hughes has the ability to be the most dominating running back to take the field since Tim Johnson with even more physical ability. He has to maintain his stamina through the season with an increased workload but he is a player you can build a team around.
5. Spanish Springs-Reed has ruled the North but this season the Cougars should move to the forefront. Most of the key pieces from last season return and they have an offense that should be very tough to slow down.
6. Green Valley-A powerhouse in the late 90s, the Gators have stayed very good but hadn't been able to get over the hump until last season and they are set to remain among the main contenders at least for the next two years.
7. Arbor View-The Aggies arguably are ranked too low but it is a very good year with a ton of strong teams at the top.
8. Reed-There's no doubt that the Reed Raiders have a great system and that system has produced outstanding numbers leading to back-to-back berths in the state playoffs as well as a trip to the title game the last two seasons.
9. Canyon Springs-The Pioneers lose a major weapon with the graduation of Donnel Pumphrey but the emergence of Zaviontay Stevenson means they can still move the ball with the best of them on the ground. Although not the pure home run hitter Pumphrey presented, Stevenson can work the chains and is a threat anytime he gets into space.
10. Damonte Ranch-Head Coach Shawn Dupris worked miracles at Bonanza High School in Las Vegas and he can produce instant improvements with his work at Damonte Ranch last season. With plenty of resources, year two should have the Mustangs at the top of the Sierra Division.